Monday, March 12, 2012

Now, what is this all about?!

Last week we had 16 degrees. Yesterday was mild enough that I took a walk without a coat in the spring sunshine. Today I pop out for lunch and it is snowing. In Osaka. In mid-March. It freaking never snows here this late; we're supposed to prepare for the cherry blossoms, not dodge wet, freezing snowflakes.

The deal is that we endure hideously hot, muggy summers in exchange for a mild winter. Who thought this was a good idea? I demand a refund. Or something.

Edit: half an hour later the sun is out, the pavement dries up and the temperature climbs into the two figures again. Not the most stable weather.

5 comments:

  1. If it makes you feel any better, Saturday morning, we had snowflakes falling in the USA desert, almost by the Mexican border. Like Osaka (where I lived in '90-'92), it never snows here this late, and it was all gone in a couple of hours. Really, really weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly understand you, it's similar here (not so extreme though).

    Even being quite young and under 18 I remember how in the last 8 years the weather has gone from traditional stable seasons to the getting crazier state it has been in the last 5 years.

    I remember 2000-2004 (being a kid) when winter was cold, rain was in autumn and spring and summers were hot. That is the Mediterranian climate.

    I'm close to Barcelona, in a medium sized coastal town. We had an unusually cool and rainy July. Few rain since. It's been the driest winter for 70+ years. Forest in the Pyrenées are burning.

    Whoever denies climate change isn't living on Earth... I remember that the current president of Spain denied this fact and said it wasn't much of a concern, back in '07.

    ReplyDelete
  3. End times, people. End times :-P

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a long-time reader finally commenting to say your demand for a refund made me chortle. If a Swede is getting tired of winter, imagine what a sunny South African feels like at this stage ...

    PS: Found myself nodding in agreement with your post about Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rurousha, I miss winter, actually. _Real_ winter that is, not the wet, chilly miserable thing we get here. And I was not happy at all when I thought we'd finally get to spring only to get a dump of wet snow — snow that doesn't even have the decency to stay put on the ground — all over me.

    Spring seems to be returning on schedule now, though.

    Oh, and going to SA is a long-time dream of mine. Hope to make it one day.

    ReplyDelete

Comment away. Be nice. I no longer allow anonymous posts to reduce the spam.