Monday, December 21, 2009

Huge, Friendly Duck Is Back (And We're Leaving (but only temporarily))

The Huge rubber duck that floated by Nakanoshima island in Osaka this summer is back! There's a winter light festival happening along Nakanoshima southern beach, from the western end up to the City Hall, and the enormous rubber duck is also back for a repeat appearance. Which makes me inexplicably happy. The festival is apparently up until the 25th, so if you happen to be in Osaka, there's still a chance to go see it.

Big Duck

It's my favourite humongous friendly rubber duck, really. Surprisingly difficult to photograph, though. By the way, if you happen to go here, there's a really good, inexpensive Indian restaurant in the basement of the building just next to the duck. You can take the stairs from the riverside right to the back entrance.


In other news, we're leaving for our winter holiday in Hokkaido tomorrow morning. Which partly explains my relative silence here - I've been trying to finish up some stuff before we leave. We're going to Akan national park again, then to Sapporo for a couple of nights. It should be a lot of fun; I've been looking forward to this all autumn.

Nakanoshima

The trees along Nakanoshima are decorated, and there's some hot food stalls and things like that as well. Dress warm; the wind along the river is freezing.


Christmas Display

There's some Christmas-themed displays as well. We only got this far before the cold got the better of us, so I don't really know what it looks like towards the City Hall.


Parrot

One guy brought his parrot for a photo shoot. He had a padded cage and only brought it out for a minute or so. My guess is, he's making a New Year's card.

3 comments:

  1. I took my younger son to see the duck last time it was in Osaka, thanks to your blog, and we ended up having a great day out on Nakanoshima. Thank you! It's good to know it's back, and in such a seasonal mood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why, but just seeing this duck gives me a big smile on my face. I'm happy to hear other people like it too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww what a cute duck! i wish i was there! the light show looks fun! i've been to that indian restaurant twice! it's truly delicious. i can't remember what it's called. but the best indian food ever.

    ReplyDelete

Comment away. Be nice. I no longer allow anonymous posts to reduce the spam.